Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Blackburn Ultra Trackstand Fix

Do you have a $250, Blackburn, Ultra Trackstand that is locking up and binding? I've got the fix.

It used to work flawlessly for a long time, then at the end of last season it start locking up and binding like a lot of people have reported. It's a shame because of all he trainers I've ridden over the years, It's the closest thing to a road feel I've felt. It's got resistance, but because of the heavy flywheel, it's got a long spin down.
The problem is those 3 clear pieces of tubing they are using for bushings. They get soft over time, either because of heat, or oil; probably both.

Once they get soft, they don't allow the friction plate to slide the way it should. I've tried greasing and oiling them with many different types of lubrication. The problem is the material is too soft, so they need to be replaced.
Replaced by these bronze bushings. The plastic bushings measure close to .25" inside diameter x .440" outside diameter. Fractionally that works out close to 1/4" x 7/16". I wasn't able to find that spec at the hardware store, only 1/4" x 3/8". The outside diameter is 1/16" undersized which works out fine because we want it to be a little loose so things slide. You only need 2 because the bushing only need to be 1/2" long.

1/4" was a little tight, and they didn't slide loose. A little work with a rotary file chucked in my hand drill does the trick.

The bushings are longer than the plastic ones, but for me the plate fits over just fine, and once assembled the trainer worked good as new. The bushing ran $3 a piece, so for a $6 investment as well as a 1 hour time I've got my trainer back in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment